For studies from scientific journals cited below, demonstrating the effectiveness of the herbs in our tea, click ABSTRACTS
Healing Dragons created Vog Buster Tea to be a delicious, healthful tea that can be enjoyed by anyone on a daily basis. The tea also happens to contain herbs that have been traditionally used by healers to resolve patterns of imbalance caused by exposure to polluted air such as smog, smoke and/or volcanic haze. These herbs have proven their efficacy over hundreds of years of traditional use in relieving the accompanying signs and symptoms of these patterns of imbalance.
In recent years, despite a paucity of funds available for research, clinical studies have substantiated many of the traditional uses of these herbs. Below, you will find referrences from “Chinese Medical Herbology & Pharmacology”(2) and “Chinese Herbal Medicine Matera Medica”(3) which are considered authoritative Matera Medica texts indicating traditional uses of herbs. We have also included ABSTRACTS of clinical studies from journals substantiating the symptomatic relief provided by the various herbs in our Vog Buster Tea, as well as their respective anti-inflammatory, soothing, anti-oxidative, immune system and health enhancing qualities.Vog Buster Tea includes:
Perilla Seed – Traditionally this herb is used to relieve wheezing and shortness of breath(4) . Clinical studies show that Perlla seed is high in alpha-linoleic acid, a beneficial omega-3 fatty acid.(10,13) It is also rich in Rosemarinic acid (9,12) which has been shown to inhibit lung inflammation in response to diesel exhaust particles. (9) The high oil content of Perilla Seed also makes Vog Buster Tea pleasantly soft and soothing on the throat while drinking. Perilla Seed constituents have been shown to be beneficial for the asthmatic type symptoms of shortness of breath and wheezing(10,11) and allergic reactions.(12,14,15,17) Also, Perilla Seed has anti-oxidant properties that can enhance the immune system.(12,18)
Prunella vulgaris – Traditionally, this herb is used to clear Liver Fire patterns with symptoms of red eyes, swollen and painful eyes, headache(5) as well as strengthening the immune system. Clinical studies of Prunella vulgaris have shown the herb to have anti-inflammatory properties(21,22) that account for the herb’s effectiveness in reducing eye inflammation, anti-oxidative properties,(20,23) anti-viral properties (24) and immune stimulatory effects.(19)
Pyrola rotundafolia – In traditional use this herb is indicated for cough and asthma patterns(6) as well as soothing the throat. The herb is also used together with Prunella vulgaris as a basis for immune strengthening.(26) Clinical studies confirm the anti-inflammatory properties of this herb.(27,28) One study indicated the herb has a protective effect on the inner ear in preventing ototoxic reactions from anti-biotics.(29)
NOTE: Batch number 0312 does not contain Pyrola.
Schizonepetae tenufolia – Traditionally used for releasing Exterior Wind-Heat with signs of headache, sore throat and red eyes. The herb is also a mild bronchodilator.(7) Clinical study results demonstrate the herb’s anti-inflammatory properties.(30,31,32,33)
Uncaria rhynchophylla – Traditionally used for Liver Wind and Liver Fire patterns with headache and red, painful eyes.(3) The herb is also used for Liver Yang rising signs such as hypertension and feelings of distention in the head.(8) Clinical studies confirm the relaxant effects of Uncaria on the nervous system.(34,37,38) Uncaria may also have a protective effect on the brain and nervous system(36,37) and shows promise in protecting against Alzheimer’s disease.(35)
The ingredients for Vog Buster Tea were chosen with great care. Our goal was to create a delicious tea that anyone could drink anytime. A tea that is safe enough for everyone, including pregnant women and children. A tea that is full of health promoting and protecting constituents. And a tea that also has a protecting and relieving effect for the most common effects that exposure to air pollutants has on the body.
M.S., L.Ac. Dipl. Chinese
President, Healing Dragons
Director of Research, Healing Dragons
© September 2009
& Clin Pharmacol
Toxicol 2006-Jul; vol 99 (issue 1):
Effects of volatile constituents of Rosemary extracts on lung
inflammation induced by diesel exhaust particles. Inoue, Ken-ichiro
10. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2000;122: pg 137 – 142. Effects of Perilla Seed Supplementation on Leukotriene Generation by Leucocytes in Patients with Asthma Associated with Lipometablism. Okamoto, et.al.
11. Planta Medica, 2007-Jan;vol 73 (issue 1): pp 53-8. Anti-asthmatic effects of Perilla Seed oil in the Guinea pig in vitro and in vivo. Deng,Yang-mei et. Al.
12. Free Radical Research, 2005-Sept; vol 39 (issue 9): pp 995-1003. Rosemarinic Acid inhibits the formation of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species in RAW264.7 macrophages.
13. Lipids, 2007 – Sept; Vol 42 (issue 9) : pp 821-5. Dietary Lipids impacts on healthy ageing. Okuyama, Harumi et.al.
14. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology 2007-Dec; vol 99 (issue 6): pp 483-95. Herbal Medicines for the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis: a systematic review. Guo, Ruoling et.al.
15. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2004-Mar; 229 (3): pp 247-54. Effects of Perilla frutescens enriched for rosemarinic acid, a polyphenolic phytochemical, inhibits seasonal allergic rhinoconjunctivitis in humans.
16. Planta Med. 2005-May; 71 (5): pp 406-11. Mechanisms of relaxant action of luteolin in isolated Guinea pig trachea. Ko, WC et.al.
17. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2000-Aug; 22 (3): pp 489-500. Inhibitory effect of mast cell-mediated immmediate-type allergic reactions in rats by Perilla frutescens. Shin, TY et. al.
18. Medicina (Kaunas). 2008; vol 44: (9) pp 699- 705. Effect of Perilla Frutescens aqueous extract on free radical production by human neutrophil leukocytes. Zekonis, G.
19. Int J Mol Med. 2005-Mar; 15 (3): pp 491-6. Immune modulatory effects of Prunella vulgaris.
20. Phytother Res. 2003-Nov; 17 (9): pp 1082-7. Biological activities of Prunella vulgaris extract.
21. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2001-Aug; (3): pp 423-35. Inhibition of immediate-type allergic reactions by Prunella vulgaris in a murine model. Shin, TY et. al.
22. Toxicology in Vitro. 2009-Apr; vol 23 (issue 3): pp 386-92. Prunella vulgaris extract and rosemarinic suppress lipopolysaccharide – induced alteration in human gingival fibro-blasts. Zdarilova,A. et.al.
23. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2009-Jan. vol (47); (issue 1) pp 62- 9. Immuno-stimulatory activity of aqueous extract isolated from Prunella vulgaris. Han, Eun Hee et. al.
24. Virology Journal. 2009; vol(6) pp 8. Inhibition of lentivirus replication by aqueous extracts of Prunella vulgaris. Brindley, Melinda A. et. al.
25. Experimental Biology and Medicine 2007 vol (232): pp 921-926. Effects of Prunella vulgaris on mast cell- mediated allergic reaction and inflammatory cytokine production. Sang-Yong, Kim et. al.
26. Dr. Lam Kong, Oakland, Ca.: Personal communication.(1995)
27. Ethnopharmacology 2007-May 30; vol (112-1): pp 49-54. The anti- inflammatory effects of Pyrolae Herba extract through the inhibition of inducible nitric oxide sythase (iNOS) and NO production. Lee, MH. et.al.
28. Eksp Klin Farmkol. 1998-Nov-Dec; vol (61): pp 58-61. The chemico- pharmacological patterns in the action of plants from the family of Pyrolaceae. Briukhanov, VM. et.al.
29. Ann Otol Rhino Laryngol, 1995-May; vol (104);(issue 5); pp 374-80. Effects of compound injection of Pyrola rotundifolia L and Astragulus membranaceus Bge on experimental Guinea pigs’ gentamicin ototoxicity.Xuan, W et.al.
30. J Pharm Pharmacol 2008-Jul; vol(60) (issue 7): pp 901-7. Immunomodulatory effect of Schizonepeta tenufolia water extract on mouse Th1/Th2 cytokine production in-vivo and in-vitro. Kang- Hee, et.al.
31. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 1999-Nov; vol (21);(issue 4): pp 705- 15. Effect of Schizonepeta tenufolia extract on mast cell – mediated immediate-type hypersensitivity in rats. Shin, TY. et.al.
32. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 2007-Sept; vol (32); (issue 17): pp 1777- 9. Effects of volatie oil of Schizonepeta tenufolia Birq herb and Saposhnikovia divaricata Schischke root on proinflammatory cytokine expression and regulation. Ge, WH. et.al.
33. Am J Chin Med. 2008- vol 36: issue 6; pp 1145-58. Anti-inflammatory activity of Schizonepeta tenufolia through the inhibition of MAPK phosphorylation in mouse peritoneal macrophages. Kim, SJ. et.al.
34. J Ethnopharmacol 2007-Nov; vol (108); (issue 2): pp 193-7. Anxiolytic effects of the aqueous extract of Uncaria rhynchophylla. Jung, Ji Wook, JW et.al.
35. J Neuroscience Research 2006-Aug; vol (84); (issue 2): pp 427-33. Uncaria rhynchophylla, a Chinese medicinal herb, has potent anti-aggragation effects on Alzheimer’s beta-amyloid proteins. Fujiwara, Hironori, et.al.
36. J Pharmacol Sci 2003-May; vol(92); (issue 1): pp 70-73. Protective effect of methanol extract Uncaria rhynchophylla against excitotoxicity induced N-methyl-D -aspartate in rat hippocampus. Lee, J. et.al.
37. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2003-Feb; vol(24); (issue 2): pp 97-101. Pharmacological actions of Uncaria alkaloids, rhynchophylline and isorhynchophylline. Shi, JS. et.al.
38. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacology. 2004-Feb; vol(369); (issue 2): pp 232-8. In vitro vasodilator mechanisms of the indole alkaloids rhynchophylline and isorhynchophylline, isolated from the hook of Uncaria rhynchophylla. Zhang, WB., et.al.